[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Michael Schumacher michael.schumacher at pamas.de
Mon May 23 14:23:06 UTC 2011

Keith,

On Friday, May 20, 2011 you wrote:

> I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use a new SSD
> for moving all the disk i/o to, that Linux likes to do so
> often. Plus putting SWAP onto a decent SSD should speed
> things up somewhat.

As far as I understand, SSD are fast at reading and slow at writing.
They are strong if data rarely changes and if it is mainly read like root
partitions.

This may be useful for webservers that hold the content in /var/www.

Putting your often changing data like swap and /var/log on a SSD may
slow down your system.

A swap partition is used to save expensive RAM. Don't use much more
expensive FLASH-ROM to replace it.

Beside that, if your system is heavily swapping, a SSD will wear out
quickly.

best regards
---
Michael Schumacher
PAMAS Partikelmess- und Analysesysteme GmbH
Dieselstr.10, D-71277 Rutesheim
Tel +49-7152-99630
Fax +49-7152-996333
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Schreck