[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Tue May 24 02:28:12 UTC 2011

On 5/23/2011 7:03 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> yonatan pingle wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Keith Roberts
>
>> anyways - if it's for home usage  Don't think twice get an SSD .
>
> Why?
> I've read most of the articles in this thread,
> and I haven't seen anything that persuades me
> SSD would be a good investment in my case,
> either in servers or laptops.

*whistles* If you have not tried out a SSD laptop or desktop then you're
in for a big surprise.  Especially if you multi-task at all or work with
a few thousand small files.  It can make even a 10k RPM SATA seem slow
when you try to do multiple things at once.  Boot the machine up, start
doing work while things are still loading up.  Which is a situation that
would bury a 7200 or 5400 RPM drive in seeks.

After having a 10k RPM SATA on the desktop for a few years, 7200 RPM
seem slow and 5400 RPM drives seem glacial.  The SSD in the laptop can
make the 10k RPM SATA seem slow in comparison.  It's the difference
between 200-300 seeks/second for a mechanical and a few thousand seeks
per second.

The main downside right now is cost and how big of a disk you can
afford.  SSDs are wonderful, but still in the $1.50-$2.00/GB range.
Better then it was, but I was disappointed with Intel's 25nm pricing.