[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu May 26 08:57:39 UTC 2011

> On 5/26/11, Kevin K <kevink1 at fidnet.com> wrote:
>> Though thumb drives are flash, they tend to use a slower flash than what
>> is
>> used in hard drive replacement units.
>
> No actual industry facts for this, but I think the Flash used in thumb
> drives are not really any slower by nature/design. This is because I
> see that the fastest SSD currently tend to use 8 channel controllers
> for 200+ MB/s performance which translate to 20~30MB/sec per channel.

There is quite a difference between common USB flash drives and SSDs. SSDs
are supposed to replace a HDD while USB drives are not designed for it.
One difference is the type of wear leveling, also documented here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling

There are exceptions of course, for example there some "industrial grade"
devices, but the commonly used ones can not be compared.

Simon