[CentOS] Initial 6.0 trees in QA

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 26 19:08:14 UTC 2011

on 5/26/2011 11:50 AM Steven Crothers spake the following:
<snip>

> Fedora and Debian in my opinion are both superior to the way CentOS
> opens community development. Having one developer doing all the
> packaging (Johnny) is a waste of resources and intelligence. A simple
> repository where we can all contribute to the build cycle would be far
> more beneficial in the long run for the project. However, they are
> currently worried about people "stealing" their work and starting
> their own rebuilds of RHEL, which if that was going to happen it would
> have already. The SL team opens their build process and we can get
> close enough with Fedora to make a good start.
>
> Some of the developer paranoia needs to go, and more community
> involvement needs to happen still. However the QA system is a good
> step forward and like I said, hopefully the first of many over the
> next few years.

I think they are as much worried about "bad" things getting introduced into an
uncontrolled build environment. Things like dependencies outside the normal
build, dependencies that break other parts of the distro, and even general
malicious content are all concerns of a full enterprise type of distro. CentOS
is not a community build... The community is in the support. I think opening
up some of the problems in building so maybe patches can be submitted is a
good step, but if I wanted a distro that anybody and his brother can add to, I
would USE Fedora...