[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Fri May 27 08:19:01 UTC 2011

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> So having SSD in laptop (if they are unreliable) is not much of an
>> option, unless I am going to carry duplicate HDD/SSD just in case this
>> one crashes.
>
> I'd argue that's just one of the risks you run with a laptop.  In a laptop
> you've typically got one battery, one charger, one screen, one disk (SSD or
> not), a less reliable DVD drive.  I'm just not convinced SSDs are the pit of
> doom you seem to think they are.  I'd personally guess that coffee is a bigger
> threat to travelling laptops than SSD failures.

But I would not.

- I battery dies, I would run on PSU.
- If PSU is dead I would run on battery until I locally buy universal
PSU for my voltage.
- If DVD dies, I would borrow/locally buy USB rack/Drive.
- If integrated LAN dies I would buy cheap USB LAN NIC or use wireless
(buy Wireless AP if needed)
- If integrated Wireless radio dies I would buy another wireless radio
or use LAN (buy Wireless AP/client if needed)
- If Screen or MB dies, or anything else **except** HDD (in any form and
with my system) I will unplug my system HDD (some
laptops/notebooks/netbooks have SSD + HDD) or even copy system partition
to another HDD and boot it and finish my mission/task. I am able to
successfully, and *every* time boot old system (either Windows or Linux)
on any new MB/HDD controller chipset, but I am not able to reinstall
entire system will all the custom settings is short time.

So, from *my* point of view, reliability always takes precedence before
  speed, unless I can have both.

Ljubomir - 11 years in backing up and repairing OS-es