[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Fri May 27 12:31:42 UTC 2011

On 5/26/2011 8:04 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> John Hodrien wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I'm averse to using SSD with any important long term data
>>> is the nightmare that I could one day wake up to find everything gone
>>> without any means of recovery. Compared that to a hard disk, which
>>> barring catastrophic physical damage, I could pay somebody to just
>>> read the data off the platter.
>>>
>>> As a performance boosting intermediary storage, yes, long term...
>>> maybe not quite yet.
>>
>> That's what backups are for.
>>
> Unless you are away on important business trip and you loose your system
> just minutes before the meeting. Yes, it can happen to regular HDD, it's
>    much lesser probability for now.

In a situation like a business trip, where the machine absolutely has to
boot in order to do the sales presentation or demo, then a secondary
traditional HD is a smart move.  Mirror the system image just prior to
the trip onto the external drive.  If the internal dies, swap drives and
carry on.  It's a $50-$100 investment vs not having a bootable drive at
all.  If it's that important to you that a drive failure would kill the
trip, then you should be doing even now with traditional drives.

All the user data should be backed up either to an external device or a
server somewhere (including the data files required to do the
presentation or configure one-of-a-kind software).  Which means that
even if the backup drive is a few days out of date, you should be able
to drop it in and synchronize the user data back up with the external
source within a few minutes.

I'd also still stick with the bigger names in SSDs right now.  Intel for
sure, then maybe consider the lesser players.  The oldest SSD we have in
use was bought back in '09 and that unit has shown zero issues.