[CentOS] OT: Why VM?

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:44:51 UTC 2011

On 5/28/11, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
>>   4. Gain operational flexibility: Respond to market changes with
>> dynamic resource management, faster server provisioning and
>> improved desktop and application deployment.
>
> I have no idea how deploying VMs to a company's desktop workstations
> could possibly benefit the firm.,
>
>>   5. Improve desktop manageability and security: Deploy, manage
>> and monitor secure desktop environments that users can access
>> locally or remotely, with or without a network connection, on
>> almost any standard desktop, laptop or tablet PC.
>
> Again, how is this accomplished and what are the advantages over a
> single OS install?  None of the above claims have anything to do
> with VM per se as far as I can see.

Legacy applications support for example.I have plenty of SME customers
who use software that are not really designed for a modern networked
environment and still relies on some old style hardware-dependent
licensing scheme. So if the workstations desktops these are on dies,
and the vendor gone out of business, they are screwed. Virtualization
eliminates this worry.

Then there is the security issue. You can fully isolate a user's
Windows desktop and allow administrative access and not worry the user
will find a way to re-enable USB ports.