[CentOS] Getting the return value of the last command run

Dotan Cohen

dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 30 14:38:56 UTC 2011

All commands return a value, usually 0 if run properly. For instance, try:
$ ls && echo "done"
$ lsd && echo "done"

The echo command is only executed if the ls command exited
successfully. If one did not add the echo command with the && after a
command, how can he determine if the command exited successfully? I
have a particularly troubling script that gives does not mention if it
exits successfully or not. I could modify it (and probably will some
day) but in general I'd like to know the answer to this question as a
learning experience.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen