[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Nov 2 12:46:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 23:47 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 10:30:57AM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, there are no other RHEL clones except SL/Centos. We have quite
> > > large infrastructure and we want it homogeneous as possible. Because we
> > > run a few boxes with IBM, Ora stuff we need "certified" OSes, certified
> > > is only RHEL or SuSE. So we are using RHEL and Centos. We have been
> > > running happily and smoothly for a few years with this concept. Because
> > > of the lastest issues with CentOS we are really considering moving back
> > > to Debian.
> >
> > Ever heard of WBL? :-D
>
> White Box Linux?
>
> Isn't it dead?
----
probably not - I see Mr. Morris posting from time to time on various RH
lists. He's a brilliant guy and really created it for his needs and was
probably overwhelmed with the success of WBEL at the time - and then
came of course hurricane Katrina, getting married and the crush of
everyone's expectations.

I wonder why CentOS never brought him into the fold.

FWIW, my current employer and for that matter, my previous employer both
have been steadily migrating from CentOS to Ubuntu LTS and so did I for
my own server and my clients' servers and it works well. While I have
been using Red Hat variations since about 1998 and am clearly more
comfortable with it, the change has not been all that difficult. There
are some things that I prefer Ubuntu (Their apache & bind configuration
schema's are vastly better).

Clearly between the lengthy delay between upstream 5 & 6 releases and
whatever various reasons for CentOS slow delivery of 6.x releases has
been causing a lot of attrition in the Red Hat user base.

Craig

believed to be clean.