[CentOS] Odd ethernet interface

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Sat Nov 5 01:29:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:42:03 -0700
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> is there any documentation on how to work with NetworkManager in
> shell-only mode?   the RHEL manuals I looked at all seemed to assume
> you're running a GUI console, which I never do on my servers.

I'd recommend the same treatment for network manager as we used for sendmail
all those years back:
# yum -y remove NetworkManager

And then configure your network the old, verified, stable and trusted way,
by editing the ifcfg files. The whole idea of having something running on a
*server* that can change your networks settings for whatever reason is
horribly wrong.

To answer your question, there exist something called nm-cli, but I found
it to be not of much use.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org