[CentOS] School cloud solution

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Nov 6 01:36:32 UTC 2011

On 11/05/11 6:29 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
> Thanks for all of your thoughts.  I will look into gollem.  The clients at
> school are windows 7.  At home the clients might be any number of OS's.
> Eventually we might be using some sort of tablet devise probably Android
> based.

see, another problem with a 'file' based solution is editing
software...   ok, you have windows7 at school... what format are the
documents in, MS Office 2010 ?       Users at home are going to have a
motley mix of older versions and other platforms, possibly not have the
same font sets, etc etc.   The Google App approach bypasses this
entirely, the client editing software is the browser and the google app
Ajax stuff.   The documents are the same regardless of what platform the
user is on.