[CentOS] School cloud solution

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Nov 7 08:41:32 UTC 2011

Am Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:34:09 -0500
schrieb Doug Coats <dcoatshca at gmail.com>:

> This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server
> OS of choice.
>
> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access
> to it.  Basically i would like our students to have access to the
> same files at home that they have at school.  This would allow them
> to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off
> without having to worry about losing their usb drive.  I want it
> housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers
> when necessary.
>
>  I have looked at Moodle but it has way to many layers that we are
> not interested in. I would like something like squirrel mail.  A
> simple web login that then gives you access to your samba managed
> files.
>
> I have repeatedly searched for such capabilities but i have not found
> any that fit what i outlined above.  Is there such a program out
> there?

I think iFolder would do what you want (someone else mentioned it
already).
I don't know, though, if you need OES (Novell Open Enterprise Server)
to make it useful in a larger environment with more users.

It will take care of the synchronisation in the background.

But I'm not so sure about the longevity of the project as such - I
don't specifically track it, and it looks like not many updates got
published over the last months...

Rainer