[CentOS] redhat vs centos

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Nov 7 21:46:28 UTC 2011

Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Trey Dockendorf wrote:

>> > The sockets refers to the literal, physical CPUs.  Virtual CPUs (for
>> > guests) or cores do not count.  Unless your running some kind of
>> > mainframe
>> > you will likely have a server with anywhere from 1-2 sockets.  My
>> > understanding of the licensing is that you pay for the
>> > host/hypervisor/machine to have RHEL, plus however many guests the
>> > license includes.  So 4 or unlimited.
>> <snip>
>> Heh. Depends on where you work: we've been getting in servers with 4,
>> like the Dell PE 810, and some Penguins we've got, and I think the
>> new ones (haven't opened any up) have more.
>
> <jealous> .  That is very true.  Your organization must also value Linux.
>  Mine doesn't and is poor.  State funded University :-/.

*snarl* Cut funding to public colleges, we don't need no steenkin' po'
kids getting an education and uppity....

Sorry, I feel very strongly about that.

For the moment, we have the money; what happens in a few weeks, that could
well be another story, but we do *serious* scientific computing.

     mark, speaking only for himself, not his employer, a US federal
            contractor, nor for the US gov't Dept he works at