[CentOS] Linux hosts file /etc/hosts

Jonathan Vomacka juvix88 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:53:45 UTC 2011

Reindl,

To my knowledge, all that needs to be configured is A records, MX
records, and SPF records (along with correlating PTR's). This is a whole
other subject and I feel I will have this correctly configured. My fear
is that someone will send email out from my server, and the hostname
might come back as my systems host INSTEAD of the mail server hostname.

Is it good measure to add it to the hosts file anyway or is this a waste
of time? I guess my understanding of the host file is clouded.