[CentOS] restricting access to an NIS netgroup

Mike VanHorn michael.vanhorn at wright.edu
Wed Nov 9 13:53:38 UTC 2011

>You'll probably need to add a pam_access.so reference to the stock
>/etc/pam.d/password-auth. Make the first "account" line
>
>   account  required  pam_access.so

My CentOS system doesn't have a stock password-auth file. I tried creating
one with that line in it, but that didn't work. Also, per some web pages I
found, I tried putting that line into system-auth, but that didn't work
either.

>Also, I assume that your system can access your netgroups properly,
>i.e., getent can see them:
>
>   getent netgroup $groupname

Yes, that is working.

Fortunately, the solution provided on-list by Stephen Harris did work, but
I'm puzzled as to why this isn't.

---
Mike VanHorn
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn at wright.edu