[CentOS] Redhat vs centos vs ubuntu

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Nov 10 15:40:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Craig White wrote:

> I personally love their minimal installation CD, from the text based install
> to the minimal package install, etc. and think that their minimal approach
> is vastly superior to Red Hat (and all downstream packagers) installer that
> is slow and bloated. I can typically get a vm spun up with Ubuntu in about 5
> mins and it takes much longer to install a CentOS vm.

I'd argue that's not entirely true.  I've been doing some testing with
Spacewalk and CentOS 6 VMs on VMWare so did quite a lot of installs.  5
minutes was pretty much bang on how long it was taking to do a
boot/partition/install/register to spacewalk with a fairly minimal server
setup across a gigabit network.

jh