[CentOS] Redhat vs centos vs ubuntu

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 13:01:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Reindl Harald wrote:

> so tell me why i do not need GRUB2 for this more than a year?
>
> 2.6.40.8-4.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 1 18:17:12 UTC 2011
>
> /dev/md1      ext4     29G  8,0G   21G  28% /
> /dev/md0      ext4    485M   52M  429M  11% /boot
> /dev/md2      ext4    3,6T  602G  3,0T  17% /mnt/data

Presumably because ext4 is backwards compatible to ext3 grub didn't even
notice the change...

Ubuntu's pages list a number of improvements.  I guess I'm not overly bothered
about themes and the like, but maybe it does *something* I want.  I remember
the resistence to GRUB when we were all using LILO.

GRUB 2's major improvements over the original GRUB include:

Scripting support including conditional statements and functions
Dynamic module loading
Rescue mode
Custom Menus
Themes
Graphical boot menu support and improved splash capability
Boot LiveCD ISO images directly from hard drive
New configuration file structure
Non-x86 platform support (such as PowerPC)
Universal support for UUIDs (not just Ubuntu)

jh