[CentOS] Trouble with Mailman

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Sun Nov 13 16:11:01 UTC 2011

On 11/13/2011 05:32 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 09:45:04AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>> Linux puts things in cache using extra (unused) memory.  It is
>> absolutely normal to have "Free Memory" go down to a fairly small level
>> and have Buffers and Cache grow.
> Why does Linux do this? It seems odd to me.

Because it means that once you've accessed something once, accessing it
a second time is orders of magnitude faster. Memory that is not being
used at all is a waste of resources. It dramatically improves the
performance of a system to use otherwise unused memory  for caching and
buffers.

--
Benjamin Franz