[CentOS] vertify which software for missing dependenies

Edward Martinez edwardm1 at live.com
Wed Nov 16 02:45:50 UTC 2011

On 11/15/11 17:05, Gary Greene wrote:
> On 11/15/11 4:53 PM, "Frank Cox"<theatre at sasktel.net>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:45:39 -0800
>> Edward Martinez wrote:
>>
>>>   I'm trying to install RPM package Adobe Reader on  Centos 6. I did a rpm
>>> -test -ivh on the package and it says it needs dependencies (many) Is a there
>>> a command to verify which  exact  packages it requires so I wont be
>>> installing software blindly.
>> "yum localinstall packagename" will give you a list of what it requires but
>> since it won't recognize the signature on the acroread rpm it won't actually
>> install anything.  You can then "yum install" everything needed from the list
>> that it generates.
>>
>> Or you can install the adobe repository rpm and then just do "yum install
>> packagename" and that will download and install everything for you.
>>
>> You also might want to reconsider using acroread.  I've found that the evince
>> pdf reader that comes with Centos 6 is really good.
> Besides that, looks like from the list it wants an older version of glibc,
> libpthread, atk, etc. If anything, I'd say this looks like it was built for
> RHEL5 instead of RHEL6, which doubly would make me not want to attempt
> installing it....

      Hi,
     I executed on the command line of centos 6 "rpm -q glibc" and "rpm
-q atk" after i installed adobe reader, and the output of both were :
       #rpm -q glibc
        glibc-2.12-1.25.el6_1.3.x86_64
        glibc-2.12-1.25.el6-1.3.i686

       #rpm -q atk
        atk-1.28.0-2.el6.x86_64
        atk-1.28.0-2.el6.i66

      I'm thinking that with the "el6", they along with the other
dependencies adobe needed,  were not downgraded