[CentOS] the majority will NEVER use smartphones

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Thu Nov 17 10:41:16 UTC 2011

Vreme: 11/17/2011 09:07 AM, Reindl Harald piše:

> Am 17.11.2011 03:23, schrieb Craig White:
>> Consider the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime tablet which has more
>> horsepower than my desktop computer (by far) though less RAM and less
>> storage. The cloud can be your storage... heck all of my music is
>> already on Google Music.
>
> uninteresting because it does not change the fact that for most
> things touchscreens are not really a solution and so GUIs
> should not be only optimized for touch-screens
>
> there has to be a option "touchscreen-user" or "do not wste space"
>
>> It's thoroughly conceivable that these devices will indeed displace what
>> is generally thought of as the irreplaceable home computer and maybe in
>> the near future - after all, probably 80-90% of what occupies our
>> computer usage is e-mail&  web browsing. Just take a look at the latest
>> 3 phones added to Verizon... the Razr, Rezound, Nexxus. Wow!
>
> and home-computers are the real target ar least?
> how many computers have you at home?
> how many computers has even a small company?
>
> you really believe that the majority and that are surely
> business users switch to touchscreens for their daily work?
>
> this will not happen now an dnot in hundret years!

OK. This sub-thread has gone long enough. Maybe CentOS team should add
"Off-Topic mailing list" so we can transfer our discussion there and
just leave a link here or something.

We ALL must agree to disagree. Those thinking the smartphones are the
future come from consumerist mentality responsible for current economic
crises (mentality, not people) They are constantly bombarded with "next
best thing" advertisement, and they make a lot more money then the rest
of the world. Other side comes from mentality which is oriented to "most
money for the buck" or "minimal spending" philosophy since resources are
scarce.

First mentality thinks that paying 300-500 EUR for a device that can not
be fixed cheaply or can be dead after just one drop from 1 meter is
justified. Other side, where I belong does not.

I almost cried when I payed 300 EUR for Andriod phone, just because of
Wireless (I am small WISP), ability to VNC into my home PC and do what
ever I need to do, and GPS software (I managed to cram IGO MyWay into
HTC Wildfire). And having ~700 contacts (not numbers) is nice.
Everything else I can do without.

So I do not think that further discussion will help, since differences
in the way we think are vast. For that reason, I ask you that we quit
this, or to take it elsewhere (I always like to )

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...