[CentOS] not using LVM for Linux VM guests?

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Thu Nov 17 19:04:11 UTC 2011

On 11/17/2011 11:13 AM, Jon Detert wrote:
> Hello,

Just to clarify one thing with large virtual disks. The size limitation
is determined by the block size.

To create a file bigger than 256GB, the VMFS filesystem needs to have a
block size larger than 1MB. These are the maximums:

VMFS-3 (ESX/ESXi 4.x)

Block Size Maximum File Size
1 MB - 256 GB (default)
2 MB - 512 GB
4 MB - 1 TB
8 MB - 2 TB

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003565

With VMFS-5 has a maximum virtual disk size of 2TB minus 512B, with a 1
MB block size.

Cheers,
Paul