[CentOS] the majority will NEVER use smartphones

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Nov 18 06:25:33 UTC 2011

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 08:02:00 AM Craig White wrote:
> development follows the money. Computer sales are flat and convergent
> devices such as smart phones and tablets are selling. Why is it so hard to
> figure out that computer development is following the money?
>
> Recognize that it's not just Linux development but Microsoft is developing
> Windows 8 to run on many different hardware platforms including ARM and
> it's clear that they see this as essential to their continued existence.
> Apple is seeking to parlay their small device success into greater
> penetration into the main computer sales. You are seeing the convergence
> of what is known as smart phones, tablet computing and the personal
> computer into an amorphous OS that can take any form. Don't forget that
> even the computer on everyone's desk at their work place is really just a
> 'personal computer' with some ability to use shared resources, whether
> physically at the office or somewhere in the Internet cloud.
>
> As for the majority... more than 50% of all phones sold now are smart
> phones. Soon everyone, everywhere will have one.

How did this thread get started on CentOS?

Anyway, I do a good 1/3 to 1/2 of my casual browsing on my Moto Droid 2. When
I listen to the "radio", I use my phone with a blue tooth headset and an app
that lets me listen to any radio station anywhere in the world. I read books
on my phone, I answer lightweight emails, schedule meetings, skype chat, play
a game or two, read a 'book' with my nook app. I reset my sprinklers by
downloading the PDF manual and reading it on my phone while I dicker with the
buttons. Why my Internet capable smart phone is far easier to use than my
sprinkler timer is reason enough for a smart competitor to bankrupt Rainbird.

Anybody who doesn't think smart phones are going to be mainstream is missing
something! No, I don't code on my phone, but I don't crack out my laptop at
the bus stop, either.

My smart phone, with its slide-out keyboard, does passable-to-great at
everything up to serious work. Give it an optional external monitor/keyboard,
and it could easily grow into that, too, given a few years.

believed to be clean.