[CentOS] External HDD query

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:40:22 UTC 2011

Greetings,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Look at backuppc.  It has a nice web interface to manage it and
> browse/restore backups and it compresses and pools identical content
> to hold much more online than you would expect.   It is all controlled
> from the linux side and can work with windows either over smb or you
> can install cygwin rsync to save bandwidth.

Thanks a million for that!

> You would want to format the drive with a linux filesystem, though.

Now, that is a typical dilemma that any sysadmin (a lowly and not so
respected Job in India), and I can't do that that is a constraint as
this external HDD is supposed to be connected for recovery on a
(horror of horrors! - winx node in case the centos node fails --
nevermind the neat li'l tar format -- coz everybody in this scenario
is afraid of Centos. Well gimme a week. I have at least one Centos box
[the elephant in the china shop] to fight with and turn them around :)
)

With warm regards and best wishes,

Rajagopal