[CentOS] high availability ideas

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sat Nov 19 02:35:34 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 09:41 AM, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some recommendations. I need to have some sort of high
> availability for a set of php &  mysql web sites, they must be hosted on 2
> servers, in separate data centres and obviously on differrent IPs.
> I can't use a load balancer because that will introduce a single point of
> failure making the "distributed setup" useless. I was thinking some sort of
> drbd/glusterfs/mysql-master-master replication and figure out how to make
> the dns system responsible with the fail over.
> Am I going too far with this?
>
> Thanks.

WAN/Stretch clustering suffers most for network latency. If you need to
keep the data in sync across both nodes, using DRBD will limit your hard
drives, effectively, to the speed and latency of the link between your
nodes at the different DCs. This is rarely usable.

Stop by #linux-cluster and/or #drbd, I know there are folks there from
Linbit and Hestaxo who could help you, but you're going to be facing
rather expensive technical challenges. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron