[CentOS] iso size?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Mon Nov 21 20:15:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:
> Vreme: 11/21/2011 08:13 PM, Beartooth piše:
>>
>>       I've been being told, over and over, by K3B, Brasero, and
>> Isomaster, on two machines, with three different downloads of 6.0, that
>> the file is too large for the medium. Nautilus and the browser that die
>> each download all say it's 4.4 GB; I've tried with two +R and an RW DVD,
>> all of which are labelled 4.7 GB Two of the files are 32-bit, and one is
>> 64
>>
>>       What is going wrong??
>
> You are not supposed to burn FILES on the DVD, you now that right? You
> are supposed to use "Burn DVD ISO Image" in K3B or similar in other
> burner apps.
>
> 32-bit version needs DVD-R, not DVD+R medium.
>
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Given that at least one of the mentioned utilities, Isomaster, is
expressly created for the purpose of burning ISO images, I'd say the
first comment is uncalled for.

The release notes state:
    The i386 DVD is just a bit too large to fit on normal single
    layer DVD+R media. It can be burnt successfully on DVD-R
    or dual-layer media.

Making images that are this close to capacity should be seen as a
mistake and hopefully the same will not be made with the 6.1 release.
It is extremely easy to predict that this will cause problems for
people, so why invite such issues with something as simple as ISO
burning?

❧ Brian Mathis