[CentOS] CentOS fileserver migrating to ZFS appliance

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Fri Nov 25 17:27:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've got a CentOS / RHEL (5.x) environment and am in the process of
> migrating the 5.3 file server over to an Oracle/Sun 7120 appliance.
>
> I want to keep my main 5.3 server as our NIS server but am moving NFS
> and Samba functions over to the appliance.
>
> NFS was a no brainer as one can imagine.  Samba seems a bit trickier
> because of the authentication requirements in the ZFS server.  They
> seem to want a domain controller which we don't have.
>
> Has anyone been here recently and can help with how to config the
> appliance for Samba but to authenticate from NIS ?
>
> thanks,
> -Alan
>
> --

I don't know that particular NAS, but does it allow you to setup an
anonymous SMB user?

If not, then setup a normal SMB share on the NAS and mount it on the CentOS
server, then rsync the data across

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers