[CentOS] Forget SMB password immediately

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:23:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Guitart Francesc
<francesc.guitart at enise.fr> wrote:

>> So what happened when all the users log in at once to the shared
>> account?  I'd expect the mounted NAS to be available to everyone
>> regardless of who mounted it first.   And if that's the case, why does
>> it matter if that continues to be true after someone logs out?
>>

> I don't understand what you try to say me but I have the feeling that I
> did not explained well. I will try again:

Linux is a multiuser system and there is nothing special about its
local console.  Users can log in over the network with a variety of
methods, either with command line access or a GUI desktop.  You may
not be using that capability - or perhaps you just don't know that
others are using it.  The Gnome desktop is not happy with multiple
instances running as the same user, though, so perhaps no one is doing
that.

> The CentOS computer logs on locally always with the same user: LocalUser
>
> Once I logged on CentOS with LocalUser user:
>
> I connect to the NAS (\\NAS\sharedA) from "Connect to Server">> "Shared
> Windows" as userA.
>
> I disconnected from the NAS as userA ejecting the volume on the Desktop.
>
> I connect to the NAS (\\NAS\sharedB) from "Connect to Server">> "Shared
> Windows" as userB.

This is a little bit different from normal mounting - that is a
feature built into the Nautilus file manager.  It will be able to
copy/paste/edit//execute files from the remote share as internal
operations and  but it doesn't make them available as part of the file
system.  In this case access would be limited to the instance of
Nautilus that made the connection, much like it would with smbclient.

> I disconnected from the NAS as userB ejecting the volume on the Desktop.
>
> Now, from any window of Gnome Desktop I write smb://ip-nas/ and I have
> access to sharedA and sharedB.
>
> In fact, if I do netstat -an I can see four connections to the NAS, two
> for every user (139 tcp and 445 tcp) what are saying I'm not really
> disconnected from the NAS.
>
> How can I really disconnect from NAS? Or how can I force the password
> being asked every time I try to access to one shared ressource as
> happens in Debian?

Logging out of the Gnome desktop should do it, but the whole concept
seems very wrong.  Even if all the users are working at the same
console, they should have different logins.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com