[CentOS] DHCP_HOSTNAME in ifcfg-eth0

Scot P. Floess sfloess at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 29 16:04:42 UTC 2011

Sounds to me like you want to set up DDNS internally?  I do that for my
home network - but you need to have both DHCP and DNS working
together...meaning DHCP needs to be able to update the DNS server with the
names of the DHCP clients.  I've got a Linksys router and have never
gotten that to work with it (I haven't tried), but I have a CentOS box
acting as both my DNS server and DHCP server.  I also spin up VMs that use
DHCP...my kickstart file actually write the DHCP client name into
ifcfg-eth0, so when the DHCP clients start up I can refer to them by
name...