[CentOS] how to install standard software on systems with heterogeneous hardware?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Nov 29 18:56:59 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 12:37 PM, Thomas Burns wrote:
> I've been thinking about ways to proceed if I need to set up 5
> machines with basically identical software but somewhat variable
> hardware. A simple approach would be to just set up my golden system
> and clone the disk, but the hardware differences would probably cause
> problems.
>
> One approach that appeals to me is to install minimal centos on the
> first system, add a few rpms after installation, do my desired config
> file tweaks, then somehow generate an rpm that depends on all the
> post-install rpms and contains my custom versions of the config files
> I tweaked. Then, to set up the other 4 systems, I'd use the kickstart
> file from the first, then yum localinstall my custom rpm, which would
> install all the dependencies and tweak all the config files. I assume
> the centos install would deal with the hardware differences. Does this
> idea make sense? What happens when two different rpms want to provide
> the same config file?
>
> Are there any other simple alternatives I have overlooked? What is the
> best practice when setting up identical software on multiple systems
> with heterogeneous hardware?

If I was doing a thousand machines, i would build an RPM to do it ...
otherwise with just 4, I would just use this on the original:

rpm -qa > somefile

rsync somefile to the other machines and then:

yum install $(cat somefile)

I would then rsync the config files from the other machine to the new one.