[CentOS] Moving server

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Nov 30 14:19:24 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 06:53 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.11.2011 13:45, schrieb Johnny Hughes:

>>> If it were me, I'd copy the entire old machine (running 5.7) over to the
>>> new machine so that after the copy it was also running 5.7, then upgrade
>>> the new machine to 6.0.  ...unless you like making things more
>>> complicated than they need to be.
>>
>> An upgrade on the same machine from 5.7 to 6.x is not supported and
>> would always leave behind a bunch of old libraries, etc.
>
> yes you have to manually clean up something
>
> but since i upgraded > 20 servers since F9 to F14 and
> currently stzart upgrade to F15 via yum this should also
> work on CentOS and is mostly more painless than searching
> every piece of configuraion on a new machine
>
> since this is a new machine while the old is still there it
> would be not a problem to test what is happening, on my
> environments all servers are virtual-machines what makes
> it all relaxter with a full snapshot

That is the fun thing about being an administrator ... you (we) get to
do things the way you (we) want and are comfortable with.

I manage a few servers myself and I am much more comfortable, if I have
a new machine, to start with only the new binaries on there an to move
things over.  Other people are likely more comfortable using the linux
upgradeany method from the install media.

To each their own.