[CentOS] duqu

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Wed Nov 30 18:05:28 UTC 2011

There's an article on slashdot about the Duqu team wiping all their
intermediary c&c servers on 20 Oct. Interestingly, the report says that
they were all (?) not only linux, but CentOS. There's a suggestion of a
zero-day exploit in openssh-4.3, but both the original article, and
Kaspersky labs (who have a *very* interesting post of the story) consider
that highly unlikely, and the evidence points to brute-force attacks
against the root password. Then they update openssh and openssh-server.
And then, at some point, they apparently take an ubuntu/debian openssh
5.9p1 (then p2) source package, and install *that*

My manager suggest updating openssh to block other attackers (who actually
might screw their attack). It still seems odd to me to yum update, then
build the software from source.

Are your root passwords strong?

           mark

PS: Oh, yes: