[CentOS] postmap: fatal: open database /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db: Permission denied

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Oct 4 19:15:00 UTC 2011

Alexander Farber wrote:
> I'm trying to configure mail forwarding through Gmail
> on CentOS 6 with postfix, following the blog
> http://carlton.oriley.net/blog/?p=31
> and I think the blog has missed the step:
>
> # postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>
>  - as I've seen in the /var/log/maillog:
>
> postfix/smtp[1926]: fatal: open database /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db:
> No such file or directory
<snip>
> But when I try to run postmap, I get
>
> postmap: fatal: open database /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db: Permission
> denied
>
> even though the postfix service is stopped,
> the SELinux is permissive and the file is writable:
>
> [root at preferans postfix]# ll
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root    root  20K Jun 25 14:50 access
<snip>
One thing I keep finding very annoying with most versions of Linux is the
alias for ll, which is *not* what I was used to in sun, Solaris, Irix, or
Tru64. Out of curiosity, try ls -laF /etc/postfix, and the libexec, and
let's see what permissions and ownerships the *directories* have.

       mark