[CentOS] Migrating CentOS 5 -> 6: where to put /etc/inittab respawn scripts?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:32:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:54 AM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> I don't know WHAT you are looking at, if anything, but it is
> not a CentOS 6 install;  'upstart' is a non-starter for the
> future, and certainly not in CentOS' upstream's plans

Yeah, about that. ->
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/Migration_Planning_Guide/index.html

4.2 Service Initialization ->

"In Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, *init* from the sysvinit package has been
replaced with *Upstart*, an event-based init system. This system handles the
starting of tasks and services during boot, stopping them during shutdown
and supervising them while the system is running. For more information on
Upstart itself, refer to the init(8) man page."

Upstart is very much a non-starter. It's already been replaced in recent
fedora versions by systemd. HOWEVER, it's very much in RHEL6 and CentOS6.

While I don't think OP should necessarily be using inittab that way, there
are certainly commercial pieces of software (I'm looking at YOU Tivoli
Storage Manager!) that want to use inittab for keeping crash-prone things
alive. /etc/init is the place for this, however the format is different...
So OP is most likely going to need to rewrite things anyway.

--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
act.