[CentOS] Installing Ruby gems on RPM-based systems

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Oct 8 10:56:06 UTC 2011

When I first got involved with Red Hat (back with 5.2 in the early 90's) I
learned the hard way not to use language-specific packaging systems like
CPAN for Perl because they'd conflict with RPM's database and make it much
harder to manage what was installed on my system. If I now need a package
for which no RPM is available, I'll use a utility like cpanspec to
repackage it into an RPM and install that.

Now I'm starting to work with Ruby and apparently it has its own packages
called "gems". How do people deal with making Ruby and RPM get along?

I'm trying to build Diaspora, an open source alternative to Facebook, and
it wants me to install a ton of gems. I'm working on a "disposable" machine
that I can re-image at will, so I let it use Ruby's "bundle install"
command to dump all the gems from the Ruby repositories into their system
location. But in a "real" installation I'd want to do this with RPM,
repackaging gems as needed. What's available to do this properly?

<https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Installing-and-Running-Diaspora>