[CentOS] Emergency help needed on host network randomly stop working.

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Oct 12 10:30:26 UTC 2011

Vreme: 10/12/2011 11:58 AM, Robert Spangler piše:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2011 03:43, the following was written:
>
> I am no expert but it sounds like you might be in the early stages of hardware
> failure.
>
> Next time this system stop responding check the following:
>
> 1. System interface state
> 2. Connected switch interface
>
> If the switch shows down but the system shows up I wold start by replacing the
> NIC on the system.

I had similar problems with my server and first thing I did was to hook
it up to Monitor and keyboard (serial is good too).

In my case, it was (probably) network cable loosing connection. I new
that once I was able to access server via keyboard and still had no
connection. But in my case both NIC and switch showed connection just
not blinking.

Did reboot help? Can you prepare another switch and LAN cable? Or maybe
cheep router so you can connect them directly and try to ping router
(set it on the same subnet).

NIC starting to broke can also be an issue, but you should also try
looking for newer NIC drivers in ELRepo repository, some drivers have
small bugs.

Upgrading from 5.5 to 5.7 might also solve your problem, is it is a
driver problem and not hardware.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)