[CentOS] raid on large disks?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:36:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/11 9:14 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> What I'm looking for is the way to make md raid autodetect and
>> assemble on boot.  With fdisk, you would set the partition type to FD
>> for that, but I don't see an equivalent in parted.
>
> set 1 raid on
>
> but I was suggesting forgoing mdraid entirely, and using lvm mirroring
> (lvcreate -m 2 ... vgname)

LVM seems unnecessarily complicated unless mdraid is broken on large
devices.   And I already have data on the md partition (moving stuff
from a pair of 1.5TB drives to 3TB).  If md isn't going to work, can I
put LVM on a single drive, add the data, then add the mirror (reusing
the one that now has the md partition and currently holding the data)?
 The old disks are still around but not in the machine now.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com