[CentOS] CentOS-6 install on 1 Tb drive fails

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Oct 17 19:49:14 UTC 2011

On Mon Oct 17 14:12:26 EDT 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us
m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Have you tried putting the drive in another system
> and see if it's recognized correctly?

I have and the drive in question is formatted and CentOS-6
is successfully installed using the same media if I employ
a different system to do the work.

> Also, if you put the old drive back, does it work?

Yes, I can boot the Supermicro system from a previously
formatted 500Gb disc that already has CentOS-6 installed
on it.  Further, if I install the 1Tb disk, now formatted
and with CentOS installed courtesy of the other host, then
the Supermicro system also boots from it.

> What I'm looking for is whether you have a hardware
> problem, either m/b or drive... or controller card.

It does not appear to me to be hardware related, at least
not directly.  I suspect a bug in Anaconda.  There  are
reports of a similar issue in Fedora last year and the bug
was supposed to have been fixed in June of 2010, if indeed
my problem is the same thing or something related.

Canada  L8E 3C3