[CentOS] Hot upgrade from 5.2 Centos to 5.7 Centos

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Oct 18 22:18:35 UTC 2011

On 10/18/11 3:02 PM, Vinay Nagrik wrote:
> I am installed some application running on top of Centos 5.2 OS and these
> applications are running fine.  However, we are thinking of upgrading our
> 5.2 Centos to 5.7 (hot upgrade).  That is we want to upgrade from 5.2 Centos
> to 5.7 Centos and not disturb the applications.
>
> Is it possible?  Could someone please help.

assuming those applications didn't replace system files that are under
RPM management, then a yum update should be just fine.

I recently upgraded a system that had been left at 5.4 a little too
long, and found I had to update yum and some other things first, before
the full yum update would work, I also had to do a yum cleanall after
that update of yum itself.

do watch the output of the yum update for `rpmnew` files, and diff each
of these with your system files, and merge the changes manually (I
usually copy my stuff from the old file to the rpmnew file, then mv
x.rpm x...)   this is typically .conf files.