[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Oct 21 13:59:08 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 08:43 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:
> On Fri, October 21, 2011 15:39, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> On 10/21/2011 9:33 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:
>>>
>>> OK. So my question is. I have Centos 6.0 installed on a couple of
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> I have not modified any repos or installed any repos etc...
>>>
>>> Am I receiving security updates via 'yum update', which as far as I can
>>> tell hasn't installed any updates for quite a few months??
>>>
>>> If not, what do I need to do to get security updates?
>>>
>>> These are not production systems, but I don't want to break anything
>>> unless it's broken already (i.e. security vulnerabilities and bug
>>> fixes).
>>
>> You have two choices.
>>
>> 1)  Enable the CR repo.  This will let you update to packages that have
>> been built for 6.1 as they become available.  It is possible that there
>> might be a few minor issues with these packages as they have been built
>> for 6.1, but they should be fine for the most part.
>>
>> 2) Leave things as they are and when 6.1 becomes available, your normal
>> 'yum update' will update you to 6.1 all at once.  The downside here is
>> that you have to wait until 6.1 is done before you get any more updates.
>>
> So Centos 6.0 is EOL?

No ... CentOS-6.0 is a point in time release of CentOS-6.  Point
releases only exist while they are the main release.  Once the next
point release is done, they are moved to vault.

CentOS-6.1 is the next point in time release ... after it is out, there
are no releases for 6.0.

There is NO MECHANISM to remain on anything except CentOS-6.  Point
releases are just service packs ... so you can get updated ISO media for
installs that contain updated packages.  It is like the difference
between Windows 7 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 ... they are the SAME,
one just has more security updates and fixes that the other.

This is exactly the same behavior as upstream.  If you install any EL6
stream release from any "point release" ISO set, then run any update,
you will be at their latest EL6 package set (so if you install 6.0 ISOs
and run yum update, and if the latest is 6.2, you would be updated to 6.2).