[CentOS] Missing stuff in /bin

Mikko Koivunen mikko.koivunen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:07:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Having a weird issue with CentOS 6. I lost a lot of stuff in /bin/
>>> - coreutils & vim-minimal are installed according to rpm
> This sounds like a local problem.  'rpm -Va' should show everything
> that differs from the packages that should be installed and you can
> use 'yum reinstall' to fix them up.  Not sure if there is a handy way
> to see the packages the damaged/missing files belong to all at once,
> but 'rpm -q --whatprovides /path/to/file' will check individually.

Thanks. I'll try to reinstall them, but I am a bit nervous because I
don't see how this has happened.

For reference, here's the output from rpm -Va:

missing     /bin/plymouth
S.5....T.  c /etc/maven/maven2-depmap.xml
S.5....T.  c /etc/ssh/sshd_config
missing     /bin/mountpoint
missing     /bin/red
S.5....T.  c /etc/pki/nssdb/pkcs11.txt
S.5....T.  c /etc/nslcd.conf
missing     /bin/dbus-daemon
missing     /bin/vi
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/fingerprint-auth
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/password-auth
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/smartcard-auth
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/system-auth
missing     /bin/tracepath
missing     /bin/cgexec
missing     /bin/cgset
S.5....T.  c /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
missing     /bin/unicode_stop
missing     /bin/nano
missing     /bin/setserial
missing     /bin/basename
missing     /bin/chown
missing     /bin/cp
missing     /bin/dd
missing     /bin/false
missing     /bin/pwd
missing     /bin/rm
missing     /bin/sync
missing     /bin/touch
missing     /bin/kill
missing     /bin/raw
..5....T.  c /usr/lib/security/classpath.security

- Mikko