[CentOS] You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice?

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 10:24:35 UTC 2011

From: Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>

> The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
> question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.
> For the User it would be the most simpel thing, to have one big
> filesystem she/he could fill with all the data and dont has to search
> e.g. on multiple volumes.
> On the other hand, if one big filesystem crashes or has do be checked it
> will destroy a lot of data or the check will take hours ...

Splitting the space, if you have the option, has advantages...
You already mentioned fsck.
You could assign different partitions to different groups of people.
You could, depending on your RAID level, create several arrays on
different drives to limit disk contention (but you will lose either some
space and/or some speed)...

JD