[CentOS] C6: ssh X-forwarding does not work

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Oct 28 15:00:41 UTC 2011

On Friday, October 28, 2011 04:10:05 AM Steve Brooks wrote:

> I have a few "sl6.1" worstations that do not have "xorg-x11-xauth"
> installed and it does *not* seem to appear in the repos. Yet
> X11-Forwarding works fine.

That's mighty strange, as a basically scratch SL6.1 install here shows:
[root at pe1600sc-2 ~]# repoquery --qf "%-20{repoid} %{name}" xorg-x11-xauth
sl                   xorg-x11-xauth
[root at pe1600sc-2 ~]# cat /etc/issue
Scientific Linux release 6.1 (Carbon)
Kernel \r on an \m

[root at pe1600sc-2 ~]#

On a CentOS 6.0+CR VM here:

[root at z1-c6 ~]# repoquery --qf "%-20{repoid} %{name}" xorg-x11-xauth
base                 xorg-x11-xauth
[root at z1-c6 ~]# cat /etc/issue
CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)
Kernel \r on an \m

[root at z1-c6 ~]#

I did absolutely nothing special to either of these two boxes (just a basic installation that included GNOME and other server things (these boxes get used as remote desktop servers in addition to other duties, so GUI is required), and X forwarding works fine.  I typically use X forwarding to run a few GUI programs that are mighty handy, such as palimpsest (GNOME Disk Utility) which puts all in one place lots and lots of useful information about your disk devices that would otherwise require many command line invocations to grab.

Both boxes have xorg-x11-xauth installed.