[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Oct 29 23:53:02 UTC 2011

On Saturday, October 29, 2011 06:31:46 PM Jerry Geis wrote:
> I cannot find anything out there as far as an update.

This has been a useful discourse since the new difficulties that the team is facing are now more widely known.  Sometimes the pot needs a good stirring, and this time we got what is to me a useful update.

As to getting updated packages, I'm finding CR is working quite well, but I think that's not the kind of update you were referring to,  you were referring to more of a 'status' report (you said as much in your thread starter).

As to status, if you can spare a VM or a physical box with C6 on it you can enable the CR repository by installing the CR release package, and then you can cron a yum update and see packages updating (or mirror the repo and see the changes).  When the contents of CR *goes away* after being active for a while, the next point release is out and CR's function is done for that point release cycle.  You can leave it enabled or mirroring, and when you start seeing packages go into CR you'll know the next point release is being built.  Lather, rinse, and repeat as necessary.

I've come to the conclusion that the packages themselves are going to have to suffice for me for a status report, and just assume the team is working on it.  If nothing shows up for a long time, then there are alternatives.  A status report won't change that.  And it may be that my centos-announce subscriptions need to be modified to add more options.....