[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Sun Oct 30 16:11:11 UTC 2011

Vreme: 10/30/2011 03:46 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn piše:
> On 10/30/2011 02:14 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> I do not think there is much to be worried for now. Most/all security
>> patches will come out fairly fast now that CR repo is in place.
>>
>> If need be, there can always be another repo that will be reserved for
>> fast fixes that are not compatible with RHEL, like package with
>> important fix that is not exactly compatible, but does the job same as
>> upstream package. This would be only for unresolved packages with
>> important fix, and only as long as complete fix is not completed.
>
> But this approach has been rejected in the past with the argument that all
> builds need to be binary compatible with upstream.
> This begs the question if the centos project still considers itself viable?
> It's one thing to lag behind because of technical difficulties but another
> if the upstream provider essentially wants to prevent you from doing what
> you are doing. In that case the project probably doesn't have much of a
> future because even if it gets back on track with reasonably timely
> releases then upstream will probably just react by making it even harder to
> build a clone.

First off, I do NOT speak for dev team.

Next, what I said was if there is a problem with, for example missing
src rpm for a security fix, and centos team knows what patch was applied
(looking at the source and bug tracker), then I would be fine with
alternative package with same patch that would bridge the time until
upstream provides that src and it is possible to rebuild exact package.

Further, what is exactly difference between going to totally new distro
and having not-100% compatible distro? Are small and rare differences
enough to warrant switch of entire distro? I do not think so.

And what is with all that "I will switch to Ubuntu", "I am switching to
Ubuntu and all of you better do the same"? Why is there need for
sensationalism? If you want to go, then go. There is no need to alarm
other users with doom prophecies. With CR repo (created only month or
two ago) there is viable way to receive important updates.

If things complicate more on security front, CR can become enabled by
default or update repo for current minor version will be populated with
appropriate security fixes (my view, can not say for devs).

I would sincerely like to see number of security updates that are not in
CR, and number released to CR repo, so we can deal with facts rather
then "I haven't seen any updates for a while and I am convinced that
every distro *must* have large number of security updates" mentality.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...