[CentOS] Centos VPS Kernel 2.6.35.4 & 'string-less' IP tables

Walter Haidinger walter at doxlock.com
Thu Sep 1 06:35:17 UTC 2011

Am 31.08.2011 15:18, schrieb Always Learning:
>>> uname -a =  2.6.35.4 #2  (don't know how this got installed)
>
>> This is not a CentOS-provided kernel; as has been said elsewhere
>> in the thread, this is likely an OpenVZ kernel.  Your hosting

No stock OpenVZ kernel, see http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/
for the available OpenVZ kernel branches. 2.6.32 is the most recent.

> A very helpful and knowledgeable poster, Walter Haidinger, in his email
> dated Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:10:16 +0200 (12:10 BST), gave what appears to
> be an ideal solution.
> 	* get a more recent iptables from netfilter.org
> 	* install to a different location
> 	* how to install it

Please note that wanted to provide fix to your problem, which is hardly
an ideal solution. You might want to read my reply to KB post and
my emphasis on keeping a "clean" distribution.

> The server provider's suggestion
>
> 	modprobe ipt_string

So your kernel is missing the required iptables kernel module too.
I really doubt that you've permission to load a kernel module from
inside of an OpenVZ container. AFAIK this must be done on the host.

Once the kernel module is loaded, you can try if your stock iptables
works. If not, you'll have to try a newer release as I suggested in the
first place.

> So I am observing.
> Thank you.

Good luck, you're welcome.