[CentOS] Update to CentOS 6.0 without CD/DVD reader

Artifex Maximus

artifexor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:21:28 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
>
> I really think it would be easier to make a USB key/disk...
> But, I tried the following yearsss ago... so did not test if it is still working...
> Copy DVD files to HD (if netinstall, you don't need to copy isos):
>   cp /mnt/cdrom/syslinux/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-c6
>   cp /mnt/cdrom/syslinux/initrd.img /boot/initrd-c6.img
>   mkdir -p /path/to/c6/images
>   cp /mnt/cdrom/images/install.img /path/to/c6/images/
>   cp *.iso /path/to/c6/
> Add the entry to your grub (change the root to match your setup):
>   title CentOS 6 Install
>           root (hd0,0)
>           kernel vmlinuz-c6
>           initrd initrd-c6.img
> You could maybe also directly specify where the images/isos are:
>   repo=hd:sd??:/path/to/c6
> And be sure that "/path/to/c6" is not formated as you install...
> Again, not tested at all...

This is working with Centos 5 but does not working with Centos 6 for
me. Instead I copy the *content* of DVD to the specified directory not
the ISO file itself. Looks like Centos 6 does not recognize ISO file
as installation medium and use the specified folder as a real folder.
Take a look on this:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

Bye,