[CentOS] Centos 6, KDE 4: canot manage network

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 01:04:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:03:35 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw wrote:

> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:33:16 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw
>> wrote: [...]
>>>
>>> ACK! Hedwig is about 10 years old. History: RH 1,2,3,4,5 (where I
>>> started using RH), 5.2,6 (Hedwig),7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8,9 (Shrike),
>>> RHEL1?2?,RHEL 3,RHEL 4, RHEL 5, and just this year, RHEL 6.
>>>
>>> Something's wrong with your GUI options. Why not do it from the
>>> command line?
>>
>> Is it just my GUI options, or is KDE 4 bad?  Is any one else succeeding
>> with CentOS 6 and KDE 4?
>
> No idea - never used the GUI, literally. The most I've every used that
> was "GUI" (for small values of GUI), was system-config-network.
>>
>> I guess ifconfig and iwconfig are the commands to use. Right?
>
> Is this on a laptop, or are you hardwired? If the latter, you can just
> edit /etc/sysconfig/network and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, then restart the network.
>>
>> Also, in view of all the problems I am having, perhaps I should drop
>> back to CentOS 5.6. What do you think?
>
> Don't see why, unless you absolutely don't want to deal with the network
> other than through that GUI.
>
> Btw, if you close that "your system is not supported", you can go to the
> rightmost tab and add a new profile. I'm *NOT* going to try that out on
> my system here at work, but I'll wager that you can then edit the other
> tabs.
>
>         mark

It is a laptop. I have not been able to get it to work
on the command line.  Perhaps it would help if I remove
NetworkManager? Also, there is probably not enough in my
ifcfg-wlan0.  I can see what is my ifcfg-eth0, but what do
I put if the network is unknown (I am traveling) or I am
using DHCP?  Do you have a reference I can read?

Thanks,
Mike.