[CentOS] New wireless controller

Emmett Culley

emmett at webengineer.com
Fri Sep 2 03:54:59 UTC 2011

I just installed an Asus PCE-n13 wireless card into one of my CentOS 5.6 systems.  It uses the RaLink 2680 chip set and I was able to get the driver loaded using modprobe rt2x00pci.ko.  I saw no error and now see that the module is loaded along with mac80211 and other dependencies.

Now I need to know how to create the wlan0 device.  I can find nothing via Google searches on how to create that device.  I assumed the driver would do that upon loading, but now I expect some ioctl to the driver command may be required.

I created an ifcfg-wlan0 file, but of course ifup wlan0 always returns device not found.

Can somebody tell me where to start on getting the wlan0 device created?

Emmett