[CentOS] VMware tools 1.0.10 on Centos 6?

Tony Mountifield

tony at softins.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 17:12:55 UTC 2011

I have an instance of VMware server 1.0.10 hosted on CentOS 5, and it
runs fine, with guests of CentOS 4, CentOS5 or Win2000.

I have just created a new VM and installed CentOS6 on it, which also runs
fine, except that I can't build the VMware tools on it. I get compilation
errors when compiling the kernel modules, due to changes in the definition
of struct net_device among other things.

I saw a suggestion to use open-vm-tools, but looking at the RPMs on the
Lucid site, it only talks about versions for ESX.

I could try compiling from source, but I wanted to check first whether
anyone here has succeeded in installing VMware tools on CentOS 6 for
VMware Server.

Cheers
Tony
--