[CentOS] centos rpm package description list?

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Sat Sep 3 14:09:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 16:07 +0430, hadi motamedi wrote:

> Is there any reference link that lists the centos rpm packages by
> their description? As I know, we have reference sites like
> rpm.pbone.net and dag.wieers.com etc that we can search for an rpm
> package by its name. But what we have if we want to find a rpm package
> by its description rather than its name? Say we want to find how many
> solutions do we have for Image processing or Speech processing on
> centos, so if we know the solution is GIMP so we can search for its
> rpm package on the mentioned sites but what we can do if we just know
> the rpm package description?

If people can provide the data, I'll host a site with a database
look-up.

Initially the fields for each entry would be:-

   database reference number - searchable, exact match
   general type: audio-visual - searchable, drop-down menu
   sub-type: audio - searchable, drop-down menu
   comments: used to be called aaaa - searchable, partial match
   package name: searchable, partial match
   location: URL or repo site name - searchable, partial match on URL
   Centos 5 available flag: used in combination with a search
   Centos 6 available flag: used in combination with a search
   Non-Centos flag: used in combination with a search

The site could perhaps be called: software.centos.org although I have
sufficient resources for an alternative URL.

Paul
Always Programming